Thursday, December 3, 2009

25 years ago (plus one day),

My parents were married. Last night I took over a picture that all four kids chipped in to get enlarged. As my dad opened it, he got emotional and said a few things about how much his wife and his family meant to him. How blessed he feels. He bought my mom an anniversary band, and placed it on her finger like he had twenty five years ago. My dad is a simple man, sentimental all the while. Ya'll, that was a beautiful scene. I've seen my dad cry twice. Twice. And in those times I saw how much he loved and cared for the uncle who was more like a best friend, and for the black Lab who was another member of our family- a true companion. And last night, I saw (although I already knew) just how much he loves and cares for me, my siblings, and my mother. It was truly one of those moments that I know I'll look back on with such fondness. I'm getting emotional just writing this, and I'm not even a good writer! I just can't seem to capture the moment vividly enough.

My parents believe in marriage. They knew when they said their vows that they would make it to this day as long as they lived to this day. Life hasn't always been easy, but they've worked it out, learned and experienced much along the way. Through it all, they've stayed side by side. Had four children, raised them. Stayed part of a church family that's gone through many changes. Worked long and hard days. Stayed up many nights. Loved all of us unconditionally. Even though yesterday was in many ways another ordinary day, they were able to celebrate twenty five years together. That's a pretty amazing testament. In fact, my dad brought up that this anniversary marks the year that my dad has been married more than he's been single in his lifetime. Pretty remarkable, to me anyway :)

I know I'm probably the most sentimental one out of my close friends. (Sorry I'm always asking for pictures :) ) I hang on to pieces of paper with just a scribble, or a ticket, an single earring, whatever little thing it is. I love hearing stories about people. I don't care who they are. I want to hear about life. Trials, and redemption. Love that triumphs it all. Faith that brings joy, and peace when we're unsure. And even tragedy. It all makes this crazy life work. And after almost every story, I'm reminded of the Lord, and how He has ordained this all to happen. Every piece. He is the constant in this constantly changing day to day. Liking stories doesn't make me sentimental, I guess, but getting wrapped up in them does. I especially love hearing seasoned people talk, ones who have been through much, even if it's all been pretty "normal". I love hearing my dad talk, share about our family's legacy and all of that. I'm glad I got that from my dad, that desire to hold on and to hear and to appreciate the past, and to long for a future. And strive for the eternal, of course.

So, Happy 25th, mom and dad! So very thankful for you both, and for your commitment to each other and our family.

No comments: